Obesity can be a lifelong struggle and a source of various health complications for many individuals. Fortunately, there are several treatment options available to assist those who experience difficulty with shedding excess weight through traditional methods. One such option is bariatric surgery, which has been proven effective for patients struggling with obesity. In this article, we will explore the different types of bariatric surgery, its benefits, and how it can help you effectively lose weight.
Types of Bariatric Surgery
There are several types of weight loss surgery (bariatric surgery), each designed to help individuals lose weight by altering their digestive system. These include:
- Gastric Bypass: Gastric bypass surgery involves creating a small stomach pouch and bypassing the rest of the stomach and part of the small intestine. This leads to a significant reduction in food intake, as well as the absorption of calories and nutrients.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: This procedure removes approximately 80% of the stomach, leaving a smaller, tube-shaped stomach (or “sleeve”). It limits food intake and can cause hormonal changes that aid in reducing hunger sensations.
- Adjustable Gastric Band: Also learned as the Lap-Band, this procedure involves placing an inflatable band around the top portion of the stomach, creating a small pouch. The band can be adjusted to control the size of the stomach opening, helping to limit food intake.
Advantages of Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric surgery offers several benefits to suitable candidates:
- Significant weight loss: Patients typically experience a substantial amount of weight loss following the procedure, improving their overall health and quality of life.
- Reduced risk of obesity-related health conditions: Bariatric surgery can help lower the risks of various health complications associated with obesity, such as type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension, and certain types of cancer.
- Enhanced mental health: Successful weight loss can lead to improved self-esteem, body image, and overall psychological well-being.
- Increased mobility and physical functioning: Losing weight can significantly enhance a person’s ability to engage in daily activities and maintain an active lifestyle.
When Should You Consider Weight Loss Surgery?
If you’ve been struggling with obesity and haven’t found success with traditional weight loss methods, such as diet and exercise, you may be an eligible candidate for weight loss surgery. For a comprehensive guide on when to consider weight loss surgery, read this blog post on the topic.
To Sum Up
Bariatric surgery offers an effective and long-lasting solution for individuals struggling with obesity and the associated health risks. To determine your suitability for bariatric surgery, consult with a qualified surgeon for bariatric surgery in Maryland who specializes in bariatric procedures. By choosing the right bariatric procedure, along with a dedication to maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle, you can achieve lasting weight loss.